11/06/2011

Illustration in Tokyo

Since I'm in Tokyo, the land of art and design, I thought it would be a great opportunity to check out work by Japanese illustrators and artists.

Illustrator Takayuki Ryujin recommended me to visit some local galleries with some illustration works. (Thanks so much for the tips!)

So first I visited Tambourin Gallery ...


They were showing works by 3 illustration girls: Maru, Mine, and Nutsco under the name Kimochiiyatura. Their group show is called 'welcome to our Que rico room'.


It was a very fun, lively show with many tiny framed paintings with a home-like theme. What is interesting is they have interactive art so the audience can participate in sitting in the middle of a mountain of their handmade cushion dolls. (I also bought 1 alpaca named Percival!)


They have also asked audiences to fill out forms and take a polaroid photo as a keepsake, which was very fun! I took one as well! They were very nice and friendly, I enjoyed talking to them :)

The second gallery I visited was Gallery House Maya .


The illustrator whose work was showing was Michiyo Tokuda-san. Her work was mixed media of fun food inspired theme.




Despite my broken Japanese, she was kind and sweet enough to spend time talking to me and explaining the details of her work. Her work has a mixture of whimsical, colorful, and decorative elements that I love. Her work is so beautiful, I am happy I get to chat and share point of views about illustration with her.

Overall, it was a fun and totally inspiring day. I am glad I visited both galleries and made new illustrator friends across the globe. I feel very inspired to paint more and illustrate more! Go illustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment